beery
Heptode

Default Ideas for TV mask repair and replacement

Hi all,
in response to Argus25's question in another thread:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Andy,

Do you know if anyone has ever tried to make replica CRT masks for the TV22 ?

The one in my set, like many sets of this vintage, has some deterioration, I strengthened it a little by gluing some strips to the rear of it.
This is becoming a more important question as time goes on. When I started collecting sets in the late 80's, the masks on early sets were still reasonable, but that was quite some time ago now and some masks that had previously seemed stable are starting to sag...
I thought I would ask for anyone's ideas on this front. Not to be confined to TV22 masks, I'm interested in peoples ideas or experience of replacing or repairing all types of rubber TV mask.

Arguably the TV22 mask is one of the simplest since it does not wrap around the sides of the CRT or support the protection glass. Then again it does mean it does not have much to hold it in shape.

I have given some thought to obtaining a large 3D printer to print new masks up to 12" in flexible plastic. As well as the cost of the printer itself, there is also the challenge of drawing the masks which can be quite complex shapes.

Let me know your opinions, experience of making replacement masks or repairing them with filler etc. I'm also keen to know how masks that have been filled and repainted have stood the test of time.

Cheers
Andy