View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2017, 8:27 pm   #1
JasonKillbourn
Retired Dormant Member

Default DAC 90A Smoothing Capacitor replacement

Hello there, I am probably just a bit out of my depth here, but I found an old DAC 90A in a loft, and, having given it a tentative clean with a paintbrush and a squirt of contact cleaner, was surprised to find it still works. When I say works, the lights are dead, and there's an audible humming, but it managed to find three stations on MW (no life on LW though), before I probably quite sensibly decided to switch it off, pending a bit of research and restoration.
I've since had a good read online, especially this forum, and, from what I've seen, it would appear to be pretty original inside, as all the ancient toffee coloured wax capacitors are there, and it doesn't look like it's been touched in half a century.
Anyway, I seem to be catching the bug, and would like to give it a new lease of life, so I've got a repair set of replacement capacitors and bulbs on the way, but obviously they don't include the electrolytic smoothing caps in a can, so I've been searching for a suitable replacement for that particular arrangement, and I think I've found some, just down the road in North London (I am in Potters Bar). However their spec isn't 100% identical to OE, as they are rated as:
1. Axial Electrolytic Capacitor. Low leakage. 16uF 450V Ripple Current 130mA @ 120Hz
2. Axial Electrolytic Capacitor. Low leakage. 33uF 450V 15 x 35mm. Ripple Current 205mA @ 125Hz
So, what I wanted to ask was, would these two be a workable replacement for the can, if I unsolder it, bundle the two replacements together with heat shrink and connect all negatives together, with the new 33uF positive to the wire that was feeding the red terminal, and the 16uF to the wire that was feeding the yellow terminal? Apologies if I am a bit short of the mark here, but I am usually more up on mechanical as opposed to electronics.
Thank you in advance for any replies...