View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2017, 3:30 am   #5
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: 1956 PYE CTM.17/ Dissasembly

The CRT is attached to the cabinet. I've done one of these and have another one to do at some point.

HampsteadE, personally I would have recommended another model as these TVs are really nasty to disassemble to that sort of level, especially removing the CRT! The CRT along with its metal frame is actually wider than the space for the back cover, meaning you have to do quite a bit of manual dexterity to remove it, all the while knowing that it's large and heavy and it would do serious injury if you drop it or damage it. You can't twist it round 90degrees and remove it that way as there isn't enough space in the cabinet to twist it. I've done this before a few times. Not pleasant.

If you do still decide to remove the CRT, do NOT grab it by the "neck". Do the metal chassis removal with the TV upright then do the CRT removal with the TV on its front. Before lifting, edge your fingers around the edge of the CRT as the white plastic bezel may have bonded slightly with the CRT as the plastic has aged. Then, edge your fingers under opposite corners of the CRT and lift. This does require a degree of concentration to then get the CRT through the rear hole so you may want to ensure you are not being disturbed while doing this and that you have plenty of space. Then put the CRT in a box, preferably cushioned with something soft and put the box out of the way so it isn't accidentally knocked - the neck of the CRT is extremely fragile as the glass is thinner and this is where the two pieces of the CRT are bonded during manufacture. As you can appreciate that was 60 years ago, so a weak point in the glass when new will only be weaker now and its fragility increased. And its rarity as well, there are hardly any of the type of CRTs that these TVs used left (although I do have one spare), so if you do decide to pass it on to a collector after using it, the presence of an intact CRT will be an important factor.

It would have been a better idea to get in contact with someone on the forum nearer you and ask them if they would lend you one of their TVs (working) along with a standards converter. Don't be swayed by people claiming such old TVs as being unreliable, once restored they will be as reliable as you want them to be.

And when you've finished with the TV, please offer it to one of us, whether back together or in bits (preferably the former!)

Last edited by AidanLunn; 15th Nov 2017 at 3:36 am.