View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2017, 8:44 pm   #146
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Magnetic Loop Receiving Aerial (Gary Tempest)

Hi.

Work continues with the amp. Today, I managed to assemble and install the conduit to take the coax cable under the pathway. A galvanised steel reinforcement pipe covers the underground horizontal run of the 20mm plastic conduit. I hope to get this finished this week so I can test the outside copper loop. As I say the results were impressive with a simple inside loop so I'm looking forward to trying out the final version.

On the amplifier housing, I decided not to make any holes though the back of the box in case the rain finds it's way in. To secure the box to the fence panel, I will place small battens around the periphery of the box. A few screw eyes will be screwed to the battens and a couple of cable ties to hold the box down. Some pics will follow when I get this completed.

Since I have two working amplifier boards then I'm going to experiment with a second loop up in the loft. At broadcast AM frequencies, I wonder how much attenuation will occur with the concrete roof tiles?

A question I'd like to ask relates to the proportions of the loop dimensions. The proposed loop is meant to be square. If a rectangular pattern is constructed would it be detrimental for the size of the width to be smaller than it's height? Is W < H worse than W > H ? Or does it not really matter too much if the aspect ratio varies either way?

Regards
Symon.