View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 4:09 pm   #167
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Which was the worst TV set / chassis you had to repair

For sometime now, I've been pondering about the failure and demise of our consumer electronics and motor industries. It's sad to think of decades of research, development and manufacturing ability has been lost. We all seem to know where things went wrong so surely there must now be a new opportunity for an enterprising business to start up volume manufacturing again. It would be quite an ambitious undertaking starting from scratch to compete with established rivals and would need a huge investment to start the ball rolling. Maybe the business could initially be part nationalised ie run by the state. I would hope the government could support such a venture, though with the huge debts that have mounted up over the coronavirus crisis that probably won't happen.

For TVs for example, the product range would have to be minimal but well accepted by the public like Ford's policy in the 1970s of only producing a few popular models. So, keep things simple, limited product range but of top quality and reinvest to stay up to date. Surely any business that operates like this should succeed.
I know most people are going to say its down to labour costs but if the effort is put into making a product that is tailored for the most efficient production methods then this will keep costs down.

Just my dotty thoughts.

Regards,
Symon

Last edited by AC/HL; 1st Sep 2020 at 4:39 pm. Reason: OT aside edited