View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 12:27 am   #162
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Which was the worst TV set / chassis you had to repair

I think some engineers did struggle with unfamiliar sets and probably disliked them automatically. I worked on a lot of Thorn sets early on and had no problems fixing everything from 3000s to 9000s to the TX series. some engineers I knew didn't like them especially the 9000 . One local dealer that had a repair service would send all the Thorn 9000 sets to me as his engineers just didn't want to know.
The T20 was easy enough to fix the reason I say that they were poor was due to the amount of new ones that either didn't work straight from the box or broke down shortly after they were installed. The QC at the factory must have been minimal ! Once they had been out for a while and the common faults sorted out they would be reasonably OK. The Pye 725 was a budget model that replaced the CT205 and without all the 110 degree correction and the lower scanning power needed by the 90 degree tube was much more reliable than the 731. There is no denying that the Ct200 was a pile though ! Again easy enough to fix but a real cheapo set with a low focus tube which looked poor fairly quickly. Again later sets using a conventional tube were better but still poor compared to the Japanese sets both in performance and reliability.
Philips tried hard with the G11 to match the Japanese sets and to a degree succeeded but again early sets had their problems , some due to poor components some down to poor soldering of the PCBs and some down to poor design which was rectified by modifications on the later models.