View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:50 pm   #2
Stuart R
Heptode

Default Re: Lockdown Loop Aerials

I was in a bit of a hurry to build mine. The recent repair of a Strad PW461 for a friend was nearly complete, but the sounds coming from it didn't make for relaxing, everyday listening. The deadline for delivery was approaching – fast.

Gary's amplifier PCBs have been made very meticulously on Manhattan style 'tiles' and David has improved the design further with a custom PCB. I didn't have the time, nor the facilities, but further web-searches found the article by George Smart who is also mentioned in the 2018 article. George's website has the complete solution; he has produced a PCB and had a limited number for sale, along with the 'binocular' ferrite cores. The website also includes a full parts list, with other components sourced from RS. Interesting to note that the commercially-made Loop that started George's project off is built on Veroboard, so maybe it wouldn't be a disaster to resort to a more readily available construction technique?

I usually buy from CPC and Farnell, but the RS prices aren't too bad and the quantity/price of copper wire for the transformers gave an instant £15 saving with RS. That, plus my laziness made me open an RS account an order from them. Connectors, cases and accessories came from CPC, mainly as I wasn't convinced the RS BNC socket came with a fixing nut and washer and they were encouraging me to buy a pack of 25 fitting kits, costing £11. In the end, I opted for bulkhead mounting BNC connectors, rather than PCB mount.

Making the Outdoor Loop

A trip to B&Q sourced some 20mm diameter electrical conduit, 3.1m long and a round, 'T-piece' junction round box. I'd watched a YouTube demonstration of someone using a heat gun to bend this into loops, it seemed worth a go.

I made a rough former with wood screws on chip board for the first loop. There are a few pitfalls with this method:
  • When heated, the conduit stays solid for quite some time then suddenly becomes flexible. At which point the cross-section can accidentally be distorted with light finger pressure.
  • The weight of any hot conduit hanging over your work surface will cause it to droop. For the second loop, I worked within a smaller circumference of my former so the warmed conduit was always supported. A nearby sawing horse also helped.
  • The second loop was made during warmer weather, the conduit became pliable much more quickly.
  • The former's screws make indentations on the conduit as it is bent around them. I reduced the radius of the 'screw circle' and added a strip of cardboard to stop this.
  • Whilst bending the conduit into the circle, the centre of this bend tries to move outwards, creating another kink. It's a constant game of spotting these and putting another screw in on the outside of the curve to stop this happening. I wrapped the screws in gaffa tape or wedged the tube in place with a rounded cardboard tube to stop more 'notches' appearing.

Pictures:
  • Materials gathered
  • Circle sketched out on chipboard, not enough screws in position
  • Adding more screws, but still get a 'stepped' finish with notches
  • Cardboard Jacket around screws to reduce notches in heated conduit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9821.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	213244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9822.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	213245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9824.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	213246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9825.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	213247  

Last edited by Stuart R; 11th Aug 2020 at 4:58 pm.