View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2018, 9:16 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Project Omega PCB'S

It's not quite correct to say that Tony 'won't help' - he's explained on his website that he can't help.

For a few years he was a prolific designer of many well regarded amateur radio projects, some of which have continued to be popular, but time moves on. As far back as 2008, when he was being pestered for help, he explained on his website that he'd been out of amateur radio since 1989 and didn't retain any information about his projects, most of which were supplied in kit form by the long since defunct AMBIT company.

To quote from his website, here is what he wrote in August 2008:

"Unfortunately, I haven't been active nor involved with Amateur Radio at all since 1989, although I still hold my licence, and am now retired. This page is here to say that with some of this happening over 30 years ago and with no involvement in the hobby or electronics since (I turned to computer programming and writing), I can remember next to nothing of practical use about the design and operation of the various projects. So if you are looking for information on one of them and have ended up here, sorry but I really am unable to help you. I don't have any copies of the articles nor any parts, all having vanished or been disposed of to local clubs/sold during several house moves".

End quote.

https://www.tonybailey.co.uk/g3wpo.php

If you have the magazines and no-one responds to your request for unused PCBs, as I recall, the artwork to produce the PCBs for the Omega was included in the articles with homebrew PCBs in mind. There are lots of firms who will make one-off PCBs almost as cheaply as you could make them yourself, even if you're geared up for it. (I design and make PCBs for my own projects, but it makes no economic sense - I do it because I enjoy it). I've no experience of sourcing commercially produced PCBs and I think most makers need 'Gerber Files' of the artwork, whatever those might be.

I'm sure there will be members of the forum who can recommend firms who can produce PCBs from the artwork, albeit such firms may well be made in China, and even if they're UK based, may manufacture in China. EG: This firm, (who I have no experience of), have no minimum order quantity and are based in Hertfordshire, albeit the PCBs are made in China:

https://www.quick-teck.co.uk/index.php

If you check their FAQs, you'll see what they say about files:

Quote:

Q: Do you accept ExpressPCB format file?
No.

Q: How can I check the manufacturing data before I send it to you?

We recommend GC-Prevue and Gerbv as Gerber viewer. Try GC-Prevue from Graphicode which is free of charge. It will allow you to check the Gerber and drill data. For Linux customers, please use Gerbv which can run on many common Unix platforms.

End quote.

You can input your requirements online and get a quotation, or give them a call for advice.

I think some PCBs were ordered by forum members for the 'Sussex' valve tester project, so maybe they could give some advice?
(Assuming that no-one comes to your rescue with Omega PCBs).

Best of luck in your endeavours and your rekindled homebrew interests Andy.