View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2018, 7:01 pm   #6
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrolux Masterlux Wet and Dry Carpet Cleaner

Here's a few images of the leaky trigger assembly. The fatter top pin tapped out easily but the thin bottom one was stuck in really tight.

So I ended up hacksawing it (the pin was soft/easy) and replacing it with some thick copper wire. It took a lot of twisting and pulling with molegrips to get the remains of the cut pin out of the plastic body so no wonder this thinner pin wouldn't tap out with a drift and mallet. This was doing each side in turn with the molegrips so this pin is very unlikely to come out without a fight unless you do it my suggested way with a junior hacksaw.

Luckily, I just needed to retighten the end cap on the valve assembly to cure the leak as all the inner seals were fine. Tightening the endcap wasn't possible (for me at least) with the unit fully assembled. However it does have a hex end on it if you think you can make up a tool to squeeze inside the assembly and get a purchase on a couple of flats. But you need to avoid applying lots of twisting stress in case you snap off the hose feed nipple as you support the whole assembly. This looks to be quite fragile and also needs to be protected when tapping out the top pin or sawing the lower pin out.

If anyone with more experience can suggest better/easier/safer methods than the above then please post up your suggestions. This is because I'm fairly clueless and clumsy with stuff like this so there are probably several ways to do it better. However, this whole thing was quite a mini victory for me. Because of my lack of mechanical skills (and tools) I didn't expect to repair this machine but it looks like I've had a good result!

These are great carpet cleaning machines so I hope this is useful to someone in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trigger_pins.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	165448   Click image for larger version

Name:	trigger0.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	165449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trigger_spring.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	165450  

Last edited by G0HZU_JMR; 1st Jul 2018 at 7:18 pm.