View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2018, 12:34 am   #1
Brockie
Triode

Default Taylor Valve tester 45D - What to check?

Hi all,

Regularly on forums (in fact run one - Nothing to do with stuff this interesting though!). I'm an electronic engineer (allegedly), however on newer stuff than is featured on here, and being a bit of a fan of older equipment and Tech i have managed to pick up a Taylor 45D Valve tester (untested!) to aid me in my work. I have a small workshop which is a little cold to work in this time of year, however a slightly warmer "desk" in a heated outhouse adjacent to it where i can do a little work on slightly less messy stuff

I was wondering if you kind souls/Experts in this field could advise the best way of testing these units themselves (short of actually throwing a bunch of valves of differing valve types in - if there is such a way!) - I'd like to be able to ensure that when it arrives it is functioning as it should be, since i should have a couple of weeks from arrival to fire it back if it doesnt work properly!

I'm looking to get into the restoration of older Radio and TV equipment.. hence why i thought it would be nice to be able to get the skills now whilst i can... Have picked up a couple of the old favourites (Bush DAC90A's and Pye P75's) - yes i'm aware of the live chassis "issues"

Also if anyone has or could point me to the latest Valve data charts for this test set it would be appreciated - I seem to be able to find lots of info on the Taylor 45C, however markedly less on the 45D... which is a little worrying based upon the fact that it is both newer and has less "flexibility" with respect to sockets.

Any pointers/recommendations/advice accepted gratefully

Many thanks
Paul