View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2022, 6:35 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Newly found VEF Spidola

I recently picked up a nice condition, all complete VEF Spidola on, of all places, Facebook marketplace. Having not long owned it, this (so called by the seller) 'working' set has only received a cursory clean and a battery check by me. Inside, the battery compartments are clean and nothing seems to have been got at. Switching on, as the volume control is steadily increased a simultaneously increasing in volume mild rushing sound is heard, but the tuning control and band selection controls do nothing towards tuning in a station. The on/off control itself is intermittent (no rushing sound sometimes), so in due course I will clean it when I extract the chassis from the case. I have also cleaned the turret tuner contacts with a glass fibre stick.

I've read previous threads on the Spidola radio on here, mainly by Howard, but not, as far as I can see, any reference to an inability to tune in given that it does produce the aforementioned rushing sound.

I'm not so much looking for general vintage transistor radio check suggestions (I've fixed a fair few), but more if anyone has experience of Spidola sets like this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221124_163233.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	268661