View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 10:13 am   #15
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Idiot building a MK14 thread

Quote:
SiriusHardware, ever tried painting a little dot where pin one is?, or putting the same dot between the top pins ?, like pin 1 and 14
I should probably expand on why I made so much of the orientation of the sockets. The project Colin is about to build is an MK14 replica on a modern home designed PCB. It so happens that on this PCB the screen printed indicators which show which way around the ICs should go are much less obvious than usual.

When the board is built it will be the orientation of the sockets which will be the most obvious indicator of which way to put the ICs in - hence my noting that it is more important than usual to put them in the right way around - especially if they are turned pin sockets, because safe removal of a turned pin socket from a double sided PCB usually involves chopping the plastic carrier to pieces so the pins can be removed individually.

The idea of a paint dot to serve as an indicator / reminder is perfectly sound but shouldn't be necessary once the sockets are fitted with their notched ends all pointing in the right direction.