View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2022, 2:22 am   #8
Mark1960
Octode

Default Re: Idiot building a MK14 thread

I’ve changed to using standard sockets for most of my builds using older components. The problem I have with turned pin sockets is that they grip the pins of the IC tighter than the standard sockets, so the first few removals of the old component from a new socket can stress the pin of a difficult to replace component. After about five or six removals the turned pin socket doesn’t grip the component any tighter than a standard socket and I think when you get to ten removals they are weaker grip than the standard sockets.

By standard sockets I don’t mean the old texas instruments type that contact the edges of the pins, but the now common type that contact the inside and outside face of the pin.

If I’m experimenting with old components I might use the same part in three or more different boards, so it has to suffer three or more new sockets. I’d rather scrap and replace a socket, at the risk of damaging the board, rather than damage a dificult to replace component.

Its a different consideration for an old original board, but then the turned pin socket becomes a risk if it needs to be replaced.

As its just hobby stuff it doesn’t really matter about long term reliability or its ability to survive difficult environments, shock and vibration.

The turned pin sockets only improve reliability if you fit a component once and don’t remove it. One of my first jobs was commissioning and testing custom printers, the only way we achieved any kind of reliability was to tiewrap the Eproms to the socket and direct solder as much as possible.