View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2017, 9:36 am   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: 1960's Tricity Viscount cooker

Yes, elements are probably the main concern, with leakage the most likely problem, and that's a nuisance rather than a matter of safety so long as earthing is secure and there's an RCD in the circuit. I expect in pre-RCD days many such cookers would have soldiered on fully functional for years with nobody knowing about the leakage, still not a safety issue given good earthing, but potentially lethal without.

Our present cooker is a 1960-ish Belling Classic I bought about 35 years ago, but currently leakage renders the grill inoperable and using more than two rings at a time occasionally trips the RCD too. One of these days I may try to come by a replacement element for the grill: I suppose I've only not tried yet because my hopes aren't high, and because there's the alternative option of giving a spell of duty to an older GEC model that lives elsewhere in the kitchen. For the Viscount, though, so long as there's a trustworthy earth you may as well wire it up and fire it up and see if everything's working.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 28th Aug 2017 at 9:42 am.