View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2019, 5:09 pm   #6
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Help identify unit made by PYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazxsw123 View Post
I had a couple of these units in 1972, a electronic shop was selling them off in forest gate. its an intercom/dialler unit no ic's it uses transistors wired as flip flops as counters. you can dial out via the keys 0-9 one digit at a time or use the key switch which then used a pre programmed number. the patch panel number was stored by wires that were screwed to a patch panel. the case was a thick slab of real wood. I think it was intended for use in an office working to a pabx rather than to a exchange line.
It was a loudspeaking telephone (made by TMC? -owned by Pye from early 1960's - in the late 1960's/early 1970's) The photograph doesn't show the handset which clipped into a 'hole' in the left hand side of the wooden case. It was not approved for use on the GPO/PO public network or PABX and hence was limited to use on PAX systems (which had no PSTN connection). I worked for Plessey Communication Systems Ltd (who were then the PAX sales, rental and maintenance side of Plessey Telecoms and started life as Communication Systems Ltd a subsidiary of Automatic Telephone & Electric Ltd) in the late 1970's/1980's and had a number on various PAX systems I looked after. They were badged 'Plessey'. There was one up in the loft a few years ago but probably well buried under lots of bits acquired as Strowger came to an end on BT.

Ian

CNet 0352 2345
MR ETD 053-6278
GW4BTW