View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2004, 1:21 am   #46
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Favourite Colour tv's

As we have covered the first generation single standard (625) colour tv's what about the original duel standard colour sets. Personally when I started work in 1976 most of these first generation sets had gone to the big graveyard in the sky. I did get to see and work on a few Decca CTV25's with their prestomatic tuner. They still gave great pictures and were not to bad to work on. Apart from one Bush and a few Dynatron duel standard colour sets which I saw working thats it.
Does anybody out there remember working on or owning one of these early monsters. They must have been quite daunting to many engineers when they came out new in 1967. There is one set that I never ever saw and that is the elusive ITT/KB CVC1&2. Apparently it was fully handwired but apparently was reasonably reliable with a good picture and like the later CVC5 was light on its tube. Is this true. It must have been a nightmare to work on.
So are any of these 1st generation colour sets anybodys favourites or are they best forgotton.