View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 9:40 am   #59
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: And the next one! a GEC BT2147

It's the only practical solution David. It is possible to utilize the wire wound elements of the square 11w ceramic resistors but this little baby uses three 100k carbon sliders and a 20K wirewound.

To add difficulties the spring 'wipers' have rotted somewhat and have lost all tension.
You never know, if the stores manager of Welwyn Electric reads this he may just find a spare panel in a faded cardboard box on a dusty shelf..

Those days are over I'm afraid. Old 'Stan' the stores manager retired many years ago and all his treasures went with him.

I must admit, bringing these old receivers back to life is a little like walking in dead mans [and women's] shoes. Everyone involved with this receiver, built at the Coventry works of GEC is unlikely to be still with us. The design office, assembly line, testing, packing, transport and finally the agent that sold it to his very lucky customer, now just a memory as are most of the shops and the factory that built it!

Mentioning the assembly line. The construction is to a very high standard. All connections are wrapped around the tags, pinched and then soldered. It takes a while to unpick the slick work of those ladies on the line.

I'm busy this weekend but am looking forward to finalizing Matt's project. I will have a look through my tuners and find something more suitable that can be contained in a simple exterior box.

Just to add. Thanks for your kind comments Matt. To be honest there is little skill involved with a receiver of this type. Being able to follow a circuit diagram and component layout is 60% of the task.

I am very fortunate in having a warm comfortable period workshop very much like a workshop that would have been around in the 1950s. This certainly sets the right mood to tackle these projects. Also having a reasonable stock of vintage spares helps!
Thanks again.
Regards, John.