View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2017, 9:21 pm   #18
matspar
Pentode

Default Re: And the next one! a GEC BT2147

These look great John and David, I am a bit of a GEC fan. I've got several bakelite radio's as well as a couple of their tellies now.
So, todays update.

I got the filthy BT2147 on the bench and before I knew it out came the WD40 and it was soon all in bits. Lopt cover off, all the valves and tube out and bits and pieces everywhere. It was just too dirty to start any testing or replacing anything. A lot of the wiring is brittle and a few broke off as I was cleaning.

I've got it in a cleaner state now so work can commence once I've gathered up all the bits I need. I managed to get the shadow mask off the face of the tube in one piece. Its pretty bad but I reckon just about saveable. I've put this to one side now. I will refit it upside down when the time comes as recommended!
I've put the tube back in place using an old leather belt and a few turns of red insulation tape as a cushion for the rim band. Has clamped it all up nicely.

Made a few discoveries also. 2 more valves (a pair of Z77's) were missing from the lower deck. I've fitted 2 new EF91s in their place. I've found a good used 12SN7 to replace the B36.
The EHT rectifier (a tiny U37) has turned white and looks full of air so this will have to be replaced as well.
One of the dropper sections is o/c
The width slider core was broken and jammed. I got all the bits out and repaired it using a steel core from a slider on a scrap Pye V4 chassis. The original was ferrite - will this be ok?
I can't see any aerial connection on the chassis. The Trader sheet that I'll work from says there is a coaxial socket on the lower chassis but there isn't! there is what looks like a dipole socket but there is nothing the other side. The last 2 pics show what I mean. Any thoughts on this?!

That's about it for today! Thanks all for your advice. John I'm about to have a good read of your thread on your BT5146
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4219.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	147766   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4218.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	147767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4224.jpg
Views:	220