Thread: Fuses
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:15 pm   #38
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Fuses

I know that what I am going to say is a little bit OT.
My worry is some imports from the far east. For years I have come across CD players, Touch Lamps some small LCD TV sets and other items with NO internal mains fuse. Yes there can be fuses after the bridge rectifier or mains transformer, but so many items sold here are relying on the fuse in the plug, often the rating is far in excess of the current drawn.
Now I have heard some saying here the plug fuse is to protect the mains cable only, this is total rubbish. Irons, Kettles, Toasters, Washing machines, fires and drills just do not have internal fuses so they rely on the plug fuse for shorted elements, seized motors etc, not just knackered cables.

My worry though is the smaller stuff less internal low rated fuses, assume a unit with a mains tranny with a fault that allows it to draw 1.5a from the mains, a good manufacturer would fit a 800ma fuse internally but all there is, is a 3 amp in the plug, so the mains TX overheats and cooks, at the best it blows the thermal fuse on the tranny at worst it causes a fire. So we see that the fuse in the plug is worthless it protects nothing. So please don't say to me that the plug fuse is ONLY to protect the cable it isn't, it all depends what you have at the end of the cable!

Manufacturers need to seriously look at what they make and how they protect the appliance and the end user.