View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 8:14 pm   #25
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush DAC90A - power but no sound

Looking at the picture in post #7, C22 (0.1 uF) - the RF Bypass capacitor across the mains, is still in place and still intact. Before any live testing is carried out a wise precaution would be to snip the capacitor out or it will become very annoyed and will almost certainly go off with a nerve jangling bang. The set will function perfectly well without it, but if it's desired to replace it, the replacement should be a Class X capacitor specially designed to be across the mains.

Not easy to tell from the picture, but to my eyes, on what wiring I can see, the insulation looks brittle and crumbly. Replacement of the wiring with heat resistant silicone rubber insulated flex, including the speaker connection, dial bulbs wiring and around the voltage selector panel would be high on my list of priorities. These ubiquitous sets are now some 70 years old, so inevitably, have suffered the ravages of time. Do heed the warnings about removing and discarding the spring retaining clips from the valve-holders before pulling out any valves. The springs serve no useful purpose and if left in place pose a high risk of breaking the glass pips on the valves.

Good luck in your endeavours.