View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2017, 9:18 am   #81
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Radio Caroline to return on Medium Wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
I was a Caroline listener and though pleased that they were defiant I felt a massive sadness. I think, despite the defiance, we rather knew it couldn't last. The signal from the South ship seemed to get worse - probably reducing power to save fuel - and there was ultimately the second sadness when the ships were towed away in March 1968. I remember an announcement that it was "for a few weeks" but deep down I knew that was it.

At a young age I didn't understand all the implications but it was now Radio One, Luxembourg, AFN and whatever else I could find twiddling around the medium waves (I never could hear Veronica on 192/1562kHz) until another pirate era arrived.
In 1967/8 we were living in the Midlands and my morning listening while getting ready for school consisted of hopping between the two Caroline ships, both of which were decent signals. One morning in March I leaned out of bed and turned my Bush valve radio on and received only silence. I twiddled the knob to the other ship, but again got nothing. I could understand one ship not being on (maybe a transmitter problem) but BOTH ships off...? I suspected something was wrong and I was right. Despite my tuning in every spare minute for days and weeks afterwords, that was the end. It was like losing a member of the family.
But then I discovered Radio Veronica!