View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2013, 7:40 pm   #118
davidrucklidge
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Garrard record player deck identification.

hi , this is a useful history of the DD-130 direct drive series of turntables. In other discussions its specification always seems to be a poor comparison with other high end units.
My own model was from April 1980 -i used it until the mid 80s when CD's came on the market ;these days i get it out of the box every year or so and run it for a few hours ;it is as silent as the day it was bought; i used it alot in the early 80s.
From memory , the s/n ratio was 50dB ( DinA ) and 70 dB (Din B ) the wow &flutter was less than or equal to 0.06% . We endeavoured to listen to the music being played ,rather than the unit playing it
Garrard had an interesting brochure -it was A4 size on the outer cover ;the inside pages were half that size. This manual covered the operation of all three decks-you omitted the parts inapplicable to yours ;the DD130 was totally manual.
My model is from 1980 ;by that time ,the ground lead still was left as bare wire ,but the end of connecting leads had by then changed to phono plugs . To identify this update ,the company now referred to the unit as DD130-1; this identification is on the deck itself as well as on the box.
I assume the earlier models had 5pin DIN plugs -am i correct ?
The box indicates Garrard was "A Plessey Company "
My limited knowledge of cartridges was confined to Shure M95 - a smooth controlled type of sound ; Shure M75 , much brighter but still slightly restrained ; and the one which is still on my unit : the Ortofon FF15 E Mk 2- this was the cheapest cartridge in their range-it was quite bright and crisp ; more dynamic -suited rock music
As one engineer told me at the time- "never mind about what things cost and their spec ;if you get the sound you want , that's all that matters .

The wow &flutter was ... " WRMS "
On the lid is a label referring to the type of motor used in this unit "frequency generator DC servo" ; is this the same motor as referred to , earlier on in this thread ?