View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 4:01 pm   #20
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Superb work, Col. Whatever you think of the cabinet styling and veneers, the finish you haver achieved really does you immense credit.
As for toner sprays:
Quote:
However a few people advocate the use of spray toner and I wonder why. Is it easier to blend in. Is it even the same sort of thing. I'd be interested on any comments from people experienced in its use.
The point about these is that they are basically tinted aerosol lacquer (toned lacquer can be purchased in bulk). Their action is more like paint than stain, i.e. they tend not to soak into the wood grain but 'sit on top' and were used to make slightly differing veneers 'match' by obscuration! They therefore were used with sets built immediately post-WWII when quality timber veneers were hard to obtain. I like SOME of the colours and the toners sold by Restoration Materials are generally Morrells, a good source. There are Behlen toners available on the internet but personally I think their colour range tends toward garish.
Use toners if you've stripped a cabinet and find there are unwanted variations of colour in the veneer and you plan to lacquer the cabinet. I think it is best to use dyes when Frech polishing, or use a tinted French polish - see catalogues for types - if the colour is too light and you prefer not to risk staining.
Hope this clarifies things a little.
Toners are tricky to flat without cutting through, especially on corners. They must be over-lacquered with clear coats for durability.
Toners sold by USA's Tubes and More (Antique Radio Supply) are excellent but hard to obtain and expensive.
-Tony

Last edited by Aerodyne; 2nd Dec 2009 at 4:03 pm. Reason: Added 'Tubes and More'