Thread: Aspect ratio
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2019, 4:23 pm   #10
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Aspect ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Most 4:3 TVs don't know anything about aspect ratios and will just display whatever video is coming in. A few of the later ones will letterbox the video if the SCART widescreen pin is asserted.

The VCR will need to process widescreen video to make it suitable for a 4:3 display, either by letterboxing it or zooming it. Most VCRs can't do this, and the few late models that can often do it in unsatisfactory ways. All you can do is ensure the VCR is recording from a 4:3 rather than 16:9 source, but this is easier said than done nowadays as broadcasters have largely abandoned aspect ratio switching and transmit 4:3 material as pillarboxed 16:9 rather than native 4:3. This looks awful on a 4:3 TV.
Through my Xbox the image is too large, but thats due to the xbox having a set Aspect Ratio. Im converting the input from HDMI to SCART but the TV only has a Coax input, so the image is taken from the VCR from coax, which is fed by SCART.

I guess my VCR is zooming in usually as the image is cut off around the edges. Although, as im typing i have a film on DVD being played on the Xbox which is in the letterbox picture.

I should be getting a second VCR today, so this could possibly help.

Its not a huge issue as it only really cuts off a little bit from the sides, but it’d be nice to get it to fit properly.

Thanks