View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2018, 7:19 pm   #1
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Default Wadar chassis nightmare! Suggestions?

I'm building one of Gerry Wells's Wadar amplifiers. The electronics was relatively straightforward, but getting the chassis smart enough to do justice to the project has - and continues to be - a nightmare.

Maybe I started off on the wrong foot, but I assumed car body sprayers would be able to do something fairly straightforward like spray a steel chassis and lacquer over some decals.

A year, a lot of money, and two car finishing companies later, today I got the call that it was ready for collection. "How did it go?" I asked, wary of previous problems that had been encountered. "OK, yes, fine."

As you can see from the photos, the lettering is not "fine" at all and has partly rubbed off during the process, particularly 'treble'. To make matters worse, apparently it will not be straight forward to just rub off the lettered panel as something I didn't really understand would happen at the edges where the paints joined, and/or possibly rubbing through the paint would destroy the finish. Even if that were possible, there's no guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

The overall paint and lacquer is excellent (although not sure the high gloss finish is an ideal choice...) and the transformer cover with "Wadar stereo amplifier", although not perfect is just about good enough.

So, the options are: live with it (but don't think I can), start the whole thing again with a different method and different businesses and to hell with the expense; stick Dymo tape over it (only half joking as it's very retro now apparently!); have some of those engraved Formica or brass panels made; or something else...

Ian

PS: Apologies for the rant, just venting my frustration, disappointment and anger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181214_174304.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	174603   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181214_174332.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	174604  

Last edited by Ian - G4JQT; 14th Dec 2018 at 7:35 pm.