View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 3:09 pm   #13
Whaam68
Hexode

Default Re: Armstrong 625 receiver

Thanks, messing with old audio (particularly amps) can be frustrating but mostly I get a lot of pleasure from it. Resurrecting bits from long defunct British companies is interesting from a historical perspective, I was about 5 when this one was made but we couldn't afford this kind of thing back then instead having a big teak pye "stereogram". Almost all the amps I've messed with sound very good indeed, often despite the collective "wisdom" from other "audio" forums. I don't have a very high knowledge base only picking up a soldering iron for the first time when recovering from a serious illness a few years ago but can do the basics. Having half an idea I often need a steer from the very generous folks on this forum who are collectively very knowledgeable.

I can't comment on the AM side but the FM on the 625 sounds very clear to me. I was toying with modifying the Tuner scale lighting to always on and I will finish the re cap when I get time.

Can anyone suggest a mod for the slight zhhhht noise on switch on? I think this is the "Mike Solomons" mod mentioned on the audiomisc pages.

Re the Goodmans module 90 I have a module 150 in the pile....sounds very powerful but some tuner functions are U/S and it needs a refurb & a touch up.

regards all

Mike