View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2006, 10:33 am   #151
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Plumbweiss,

Your list of defects is very intersting and reflects my own, considerable more restricted, experience of Avometers repairs.

(I suspect however that this discussion is off-topic for the survey and the moderators will want to move it to a thread on repairs).

When you mention lost jewels, are you referring to the pallet stone on the cut-out latching pawl? (I haven't seen a movement pivot jewel missing). If so, what method(s) have you found for refixing the pallet stones?

Would you agree that, while all these defects are common, and many could or should have been corrected in production, the greatest cause of defects is abuse, either in use or due to inappropriate storage?

It's also worth remembering how many Avometers were made and how long many have been in service.

I have found that the pre Model 8 Mk V cut-outs often stick due to dirt on the reset button shaft and other parts, again probably due to poor storage conditions.

For pre-war meters (pre-1939), I would add open circuit moving coils due to deterioration of hairspring solder and corrosion around the hairspring collets, both exacerbated, if not caused, by damp.

(I sent you a private mesage).

Peter M. Munro
pmmunro is online now   Reply With Quote