Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2018, 1:45 am   #423
IanBland
Hexode

Default Re: Maplin stores

I think as well that as the focus shifted from the old core business of components, the stunning ignorance of the staff didn't help their image to the customer. Components wise they had no idea what they were selling. "It's an op amp" would elicit a total blank look.

A while ago I was buying a bunch of various CMOS chips. At one point the guy got something from a drawer and plonked it on the counter and I was, "that's not right. That's a piezo buzzer". (The "FFS" muttered only internally).

He had no idea that it was wrong. And this fellow has I know worked there for some considerable time- but had never developed any interest in the things he was selling. I can't understand how somebody can even do a job in that state of ignorance. I'd feel awkward all day thinking what the customers would be thinking of me.

But anyway, I'll still miss the chance to buy a ludicrously overpriced capacitor or two (not three though, mind) in an emergency. I daresay before long drone deliveries are going to fix that though anyway.