View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2012, 3:32 pm   #27
radioredcat
Hexode

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

Don't forget ITV1 swaps with BBC2 UHF ch 33 when it closes and BBC A starts on UHF ch 23 on 04/04/12

The rest of analogue closes on the 18th.

Touching on what terrykc about the elderly we DSO'd in 2009 and 2 years on my elderly neighbours and relatives don't have a clue about digital tv.

First problem is retuning here because Winter Hill which uses group C/D. The equipment has to pass the bottom of the band so taking in Wales/Midlands/Yorkshire so doing an auto tune you end up with channels from different regions.

On neighbour tried retuning and had BBC Wales Yorkshire ITV of course Granada was in the 800's but she did not know that.

The second problem is the elderly have problems in selecting different sources on the TV and some sets the source button is next to the standby button and sometimes they catch the source button when they turn the set off. The result of that is when they put the set on there's nothing. That's when my phone rings.

My uncle has Sky + but he just can't use it as he finds it too dificult, so he has 3 VCRs with Freeview boxes on each so he can record their programs.

At one time in the past you had a basic TV, a mid range and the all bells and wistle sets. Now we just have all bells and wistles.

Then the next problem is the remote buttons are too small and there are too many buttons and the elderly just can't see them and can't remember what they are for.

So this what you who have not DSO'd yet have to look forward to, as I'm sure all of you like me have elderly relatives and neighbours that you help with their TV problems.

Andy