View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2019, 11:42 am   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: PCB Layout Diagrams in Service Manuals?

A few more pics all created using MS 'Paint' relating to my restoration of a Unitra Figaro Special.

It might seem a lot of fuss about the restoration of a simple set and I dare say I could have got by without what to some may seem like too much of a palaver. However, I find it far more tedious to try to work from scruffy, indistinct service data or scrappy freehand sketches. In creating those drawings I identified several circuit errors. I was also able to create a back panel from a photo I found on internet (missing from the set when I bought it).

I don't see this as a needless chore that I could well do without, but as part of my hobby.

Hobbies are about the relaxing, enjoyable and productive use of scarce leisure time. There's no economic case to be made for making one's own PCBs, when they can be bought more cheaply, just as it makes no economic sense for me to spend a morning making a little comb-jointed mahogany box for a project I've built when an ABS box could be bought for under a fiver and would do the job just as well. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it.

Pic 1: Below chassis diagram.
Pic 2: Auto transformer tag identification.
Pic 3: Output transformer tag I.D.
Pic 4: Dial cord, IFTs and DM70 magic eye connections.
Pic 5: Replica back panel.

Perhaps these notes aren't really relevant to the original query, ('what software do makers use?') which I can't answer, but hopefully, some pointers as to what we hobbyists can use. I've posted lots of examples of home-brew PCB projects I've designed using MS 'Paint' - most recently in the Donald Stott 300Hz strobe project thread.

Hope that's of interest and use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Below chassis edited.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	184989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figaro Auto Transformer Tags_edited-1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	184990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figaro Output Transformer_edited-1.jpg