View Single Post
Old 19th May 2019, 10:26 am   #24
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Woolworths Electrical Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I can remember the gas lamps with dangling on/off chains at the Cheethem Hill Manchester branch. It's now a British Heart Foundation charity shop.

My favourite things from the electrical counter were MES baton holders, and those mini tumbler switches, either with a plastic or chrome top. The latter became part of the circuit via the pin securing the "dolly".
I was also very fond of the MES baton holders and switches. The bulb in the lid of our McMichael 135 failed and I went with my parents at around the age of 7 to Woolworths to buy another. My parents wanted to get a 3v one but I insisted on a 6v one. I still remember the assistant saying "he certainly knows what he wants".

They also used to test new mains lamps on a lampholder behind the counter before selling them.

Both the Lancaster and Crosby branches still had gas globes covered in netting into the 1970s but I never saw them used. They also had large square chromium framed slave clocks.

An older school friend got a job on the electrical counter and he pointed out the three coloured lamp bulbs on one wall. Apparently they were a used as a signal when a supervisor, or floor walker was required. The bulbs remained in Southport long after the store was modernised and the individually attended counters were removed.