Thread: Speaker noises
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2019, 11:15 pm   #22
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Speaker noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Have you had these speakers long, do you know their history?
I wonder if they could have been poorly re-coned in the past.

Another thing to check is the inner suspension by the voice coil, has this come away from the speaker frame.
Does the speaker cone make a scratching noise when you push it with evenly spaced pressure.
I've had them for around a year and a half now, and I have no idea of their history, bought them just being told the basics and that the system (Player and speakers) is in working order.

I can apply test them now and i'll get back with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
Can you clarify a couple of things please?
Is it one or both speakers with the 'sparking' noise?
You say it / they make a noise when not playing music sometimes. Now you have the covers off can you watch the cones and see if they are moving in and out with nothing playing. Try different positions of the volume control too.
Do you have other speakers to try to make sure the amplifier or cables are not to blame?
I believe it's only both, but im not 100% too sure on this. I'll take the covers off again and put the volume up and watch, and I'll get back with the results from that too.

I don't have any other speakers, nor cable. Just the two that I bought originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
I've got a pair buried somewhere in the loft and I can tell you that they don't like a lot of "Quo" through them at high volume, even when powered by the original Dynatron system they came with, and are likely to make the noises you describe after such an event
I could also tell you that they don't seem to like a lot of Queen being played at a high volume either, which is unfortunate for them.
I would say that they sound quite decent, but I've never had another pair to compare them too.
Thank you all for your help, i'll get to testing now.

Thanks.