View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2018, 10:17 am   #19
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vintage Radio Service Data DVD

There is a lot of misconception and misinformation about copyright of images and other data on the internet, and my comments here may be a bit more as I am not an expert on the subject. But I did have some involvement with copyright rules when I was involved in adding photos of locations to a Geo-mapping website. I was approached via the website by a couple of companies who wanted the right to use my images for promotional purposes and hence did not wish to give any credit to me.

It is common accepted practice that photos and images posted on the internet by the creator and freely obtained from the internet, unless specifically marked otherwise can be reused so long as the original source of the image is credited.
(Slightly OT here but this is the sort of use that the Radio Museum applies as it insists that any non original images are identified as to where they came from.)
If other use is required or the re-user does not want to give the copyright holder credit then they must ask permission, in this case normally a fee is paid.

Normally this would apply to any image of original work or photo of a landscape or object.
It becomes very clouded when the image is of a paper or item which may have already been the subject of copyright owned by somebody else.
I have been informed that you cannot assert your own copyright on an image of someone else's copyrighted work, even if you have made alterations to it to clarify the image, and this does make sense, but it would need to be proved by a copyright expert.
But there are moral issues in copying someone's work, even more so when there are financial implications.

Paul's DVD has original data on it written specifically to index the image files.
This is obviously easily to identify as Paul's own copyright.

I hasten to add that I whole heartedly disprove of reusing anybody's work as your own and without crediting the originator, and against their wishes. In my view this would include all of Paul's hard work on scanning and compiling the useful DVD.
I can confirm I have never reused a whole schematic from Paul's DVD, I have only ever used small parts, for instance to help illustrate a discussion on a forum. I believe Paul accepts this as fair and reasonable.

This may be of interest here; https://creativecommons.org/share-yo...ypes-examples/

Mike

Last edited by crackle; 21st Aug 2018 at 10:23 am.