View Single Post
Old 13th May 2018, 9:41 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Members "last activity"

Clearly helping/encouraging those individuals who are motivated to become repairers/restorers is a good thing but sorting them from others with a different approach/agenda is not easy hence all the NSA's [never seen again]. Many of those that do stay on don't understand the ethos and are over persistent with questions-perhaps they confuse a mutual discussion on an enthusiasts site with a computer helpline. I managed to describe the need for a better work/questions balance to someone recently but they've not been back. Others get clear, tactful advice and ignore it or don't seem to realise when their question has already been answered.

Certainly things have changed a great deal over the last few years but I notice that existing members now [finally] tend to respond with what do you know?, what are your skills?, what are you trying to achieve? not assuming the OP will understand a flood of well intended info or why they want it? This is not rejecting anyone, I've never come across a more generous group of people than on here and that should be respected. It's also not a technical issue-just good manners. Significantly, someone wondered whether they were allowed to ask questions at all [in a new thread very recently]. They were then asked why did they ask THAT question and the reply was that other threads are can be very unwelcoming-a bit of an unconcious tribute to the Forum I thought!

Dave W

" I used to care but things have changed" Dylan
From the film "Wonderboys" recommended!