View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:48 pm   #39
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Rusbridge's Auctions: 4 for 2019

Thanks for all the nice comments. Thanks for your support. Thanks for all your help. Thanks for turning a wet Sunday in January into a good day out. I was very happy with the event. Everything went like clockwork. My helpers, my sellers, and my buyers are all taking the whole thing seriously and "dead set" on this becoming a success.
Don't kid yourself that the organiser is anything more than a name under which to file the paperwork. If it's to be a success, it will only be a success because everyone wants it to be, and puts in the effort to make it a success. That is certainly happening, and although we were a rather "select" gathering on auction day, the atmosphere was good, everyone was putting their backs into it, and therefore it was fun.
It needs to be fun. Why drive miles and miles to a windswept hill in Lancashire to be drenched by diagonal rain if you're not going to have any fun while you're there? Certainly more buyers will be needed in future, but the fundamentals are right and in good working order. There's always room to improve but everyone is pulling hard in the same direction and more buyers will materialise when they're more certain that they're missing out by staying at home.
I remain confident that we will get this venture properly "off the ground" because a lot of people really want it to work. Anyway, I've already paid the rent for the hall for the June session, so either I'm confident or deluded.
The only thing that went properly awry was a fuse in the van which shuffled off to Buffalo on Sunday evening, leaving us with a trailer without a single light working when it was time to go. How we enjoyed poking around under the dash trying to find and replace Fuse 19 as the rain blew sideways through the open door of the cab. Well, we dried out in the first twenty miles and got home eventually.
Once I've done the accounts and sent out the cheques to the sellers, it'll be time to think about the delights of April in Radnage. There was a big-band number about that wasn't there? Oh no, that was April in Paris. (One more time...)
Radnage is nowhere near Wigan, the famous pie centre of the universe, so I suppose I won't need so many pasties for that gig. (You tell me!)
Rob.