View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2017, 7:39 am   #24
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: BBC TV: The Repair Shop

I have to say that I was disappointed with the telephone on so many levels. As has already been commented on it being a(n incomplete) bitsa, it had a much later dial - which I would have had no hesitation in replacing with a correct one (unlike the non-telephone-orientated horologist, I keep telephone spares). It also had a wrong earcap on the bell-receiver - looking as though it was from a handset 164. Then, I was totally unconvinced by his diagnosis of the problem with the dial return. Surely, it was the more usual situation of simply being clagged up with years of muck.

Finally, I found it quite amusing to hear him expressing fears of springs flying everywhere as he extracted the dial from the case - that aint going to happen until you start dismantling the dial (which he didn't appear to do).

I feel it a shame they didn't involve someone with some knowledge of old telephones - who might also have given some advice on how to get it working as a telephone. They may then, however, have ended up in a bit of grey area regarding what is permissible to connect to the telephone network. <end of rant>