View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 1:14 am   #5
audiomm
Pentode

Default Re: AVO VCM MkIII repair

An update on the repair. I rewound the coil and refitted the relay. On power up the red meter light came on and the relay was chattering away. I figured that maybe the windings were out of phase wih the others so swapped over the yellow leads but it wasn't that. Note, I haven't done any adjustments to the relay yet as I saw a few other issues. Someone has been in here before me - I noticed the meter connections were loose and the wires to the mains on/off switch appeared to have been messed with. One side of on/off switch had the white wires connected together bypassing the switch. Also noticed a bit of sleeeving rolling about -obviously left behind by whoever worked on it previously. Anyway I have checked the meter - its OK, and I've retightened the connections.

Also disconnected the top panel to give easier access to the innards - the relay still tripped . I've removed the DH77's to no avail so maybe the relay might need adjusting after all. I was loath to tinker with it initially but in view of the previous 'repair' it is possible it was fiddled with in an endeavour to fix whatever was wrong?
But before I do, I've tried to isolate the fault condition by disconnecting the HT transformer from the LT transformer but that didn't change anything. So I will disconnect the LT transformer from the heater volts switches to see if that highlights anything. Hopefully the LT transformer is OK and all the needs is for the relay to be adjusted - I'll give it a rest for a day and have another look tomorrow.
Mike