Thread: Philips T-Vette
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2007, 1:06 pm   #39
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Philips T-Vette

I've probably come to this a little late in the day but my one of these had similar problems.
In my case the HT faded away becasue the line scan coupling capacitor was leaky, it's one of those yellow "block" ones and is hidden right down at the front behind the LOPT. The one in mine had started to melt, I should have looked earlier (but when you see where it is maybe you will understand).
I'd also suspect the AD149 series regulator and the sound output transistors (especially the NPN one of course) if the HT falls with use. The sound stage is fragile, apparently the positioning of the wires to the loudspeaker is critical but I can't recall the details (it's in R+TV S, 1968 > 69 I think, the first one with colour sets in anyway).
The correct HT (and hence tube heater) voltage for all these sets is 10.8V, this allows it to run from a car battery with enough left over for the regulator to chew on.
I can't help liking this model but technically they are rubbish compared to the Sonys. Mind you, can you imagine the hash BRC would have made of it if they'd tried something similar?