View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2016, 12:40 am   #78
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: A precision voltage calibrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
I certainly follow your reasoning, but twice, from different suppliers? I just can't shake the feeling that it's too much of a coincidence, even given the context...
Two different suppliers; same type of chip: AD584. Both chips almost certainly 're-cycled / salvaged'. Both boards designed to do the same task. Source: same country - China.

In the final analysis, there are only two possibilities.
1. Both were faulty upon arrival. (Although they might have been O.K. when they left China).
2. I damaged both during initial testing.

Now I do not wish to sound unduly arrogant, but I am quite confident in my technical knowledge and skills to rule out possibility #2. Therefore . . .

------------------------

The two suppliers: just a bit of info. about each. I believe that what follows is in the Public Domain, so there should not be a breach of confidentiality.

First supplier. Board was a small pcb about 1 inch by 1 inch. Just the AD sitting on it and some jumpers. When I was in a dialogue with him (he was located in China), I distinctly got the impression that he was running a 'one man and his dog' outfit.

Second supplier. Board contained a few SMT components in addition to the AD; the pcb was housed in a perspex case. Now that supplier was located in the U.K., but it became apparent that he, in turn, got the items he was selling from his boss in China.

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 9th Mar 2016 at 12:50 am.