View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 5:07 pm   #17
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: My first frame aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Now how do I build a system into the aerial to allow fore and aft tilt?
To a considerable extent, that can be determined by your ingenuity and available tools.

The simplest idea that immediately springs to mind is to make a joint in the vertical spindle above the rotating joint, and arrange that new joint to have a hole drilled through it with a suitable length screw and a wing nut. You manually adjust the elevation by trial and error, then lock that elevation setting with the wing nut.

A more ambitious approach would be along these lines. Arrange a horizontal beam, below the frame, so that it rotates with the aerial. You still need a joint as above, but without the locking wing nut. If you run pieces of string from each top corner of the frame down to the extremities of that horizontal beam, it should be possible to contrive some sort of winding mechanism so that when one piece of string is wound up, the other is unwound, thus tilting the frame in a vertical plane. The 'mechanism' may require things like crank handles, springs and a ratchet and pawl. This second idea is simply to inspire your imagination!
Overall, though, that is quite a complicated affair: something between my two ideas could probably be devised. (Elementary on one hand; a bit OTT on the other! )

Let's see what ideas other members suggest.

Al.