View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2008, 5:18 pm   #12
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: 80 meter superhet

Hi Dominic.

It took me about 2 hours to write that last Post; I do realise - as I did at the time - that it could seem a little heavy-handed; the edits were many.

For some of us though - who have been around a bit and have the battle-scars to show - it gets difficult to know just how to fine-tune a message that (a) on the one hand is truly helpful (and not just to the recipient, either - the Messages on the Forum can be read by anyone) and try to pass on the benefit of accumulated hard-won advice but (b) on the other hand, not to sound patronising /authoritarian / dogmatic / and reactionary towards new ideas.

It would be very easy to simply not bother. But I'm not 'wired' that way.

By all means experiment - I do all the time - at Work & at Play. I have made several Posts on this very Forum asking Q's that to some Members must seem elementary. But, IMHO, experiments need to be based on firm foundations & clearly understood principles - preferably provable with a bit of Math & Physics - unless you really have got time to waste and accept that one's rate of learning is probably going to be painfully slow & frustrating.
Mine certainly was in the Early Days.

Analogy: thrashing around in the dark, without a torch, looking for a black cat - that you don't know is there.

Al / Skywave.