View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2020, 1:11 pm   #34
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Another DIY voltage reference...

Sure, if time and cost are your primary concerns, then just pick up a pre-built module. To support people wishing to do that, I did a bunch of reviews of AD584-based units a while back: https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/ad584_references/

But obviously time and cost were not why I built my original project. It was an idea I had, prototyped, and decided to build. I had a lovely time doing it, and ended up with something which is considerably better than those Chinese modules. Yes, it might be better than David needs, but this forum covers a lot more than just 1950s domestic radios. And we're not all hobbyists

I have a Chinese AD588 module sat here. It is encased, complete with a rechargeable (via USB) battery, and cost less than a tenner if memory serves. I never did get around to documenting it - partly because it doesn't really "bring anything to the party" over and above the AD584 reviews I'd already done, and partly because I found it was no longer available when I did think about starting it. I see that the ICs are readily available for just a few pounds on eBay, but obviously you're taking a bit of a chance there - they could easily be fake or rejects. But you'd only buy an AD588 today is to repair something that used one IMHO - there are cheaper/better references out there.