View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2020, 3:57 pm   #7
sawleyram
Diode

Default Re: Bush SRP31D - Restoration

Hi all, thanks a lot for the replies I'm really quite surprised and grateful of the responses.

I've checked which stylus is in it and it's a BSR SX6M (see attached picture), so Howard is absolutely spot on. I was pleased to see that the cartridge itself has not been soldered and does utilise the 'bullets' or push in connectors which are all sound and making a solid connection . It's just the wires I'm really concerned about and where I think the real problem lies -- wondering if it would be worth ordering replacement wire. I'm capable of doing this just not sure what gauge cable to use.

As you'll have seen from my last post the wires have been stripped and twisted together at some point so the insulation is missing. If I touch or pinch the twisted parts with the player on, the hum becomes louder so I think that must be at least part of (or if not the whole) cause of the issue.

I've found a new stylus (8TA) but I'm not sure if this will fit into the cartridge I have -- need to investigate that.

Thank you also to Frank. I did try to find a guide and with it being a fairly popular player I thought I'd find one, but clearly my search terms weren't good enough. Afternoon reading for me there thanks very much for the link.