View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2020, 10:43 pm   #4
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Default Re: Bush SRP31D - Restoration

Hi and welcome

I have one of these players and they work very well. It is a mono machine so I think if one channel is faulty this will be down to the cartridge. That doesn’t look like the original to me, they would have been normally fitted with a Sonotone cartridge and that looks like a BSR one I think. I suspect the faults are due to the fitting of the replacement. The cartridge must be connected via push on solder tags, never solder directly to the cartridge. The wires are thin and need great care and patience when dealing with them. The hum is likely due to this. I would suggest check the connections very carefully, it does look as if the red wire is broken.

As an aside a very common fault with these players is the failure of the half wave rectifier which supplies the HT but possibly this might be a step too far at the moment! The player will still work even if the HT is low but best leave this for the time being. Another common fault is that the tweeter stops working but the elliptical speaker works very well on higher frequencies and in practice makes very little difference to the sound.