View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 10:00 am   #189
crestavega
Pentode

Default Re: Users of 2 metre Amateur Band?

Yes, foundation is the way to go for sure. I was highlighting the somewhat more relaxed approach that S. America seemed to take to 2m - but for all I know, all the users had a license of some sort: it just didn't *seem* like it.

Falklands Islanders continue to use ham 2m, with repeaters as an effective family/community service. if I recall rightly, when you rent a landrover in Stanley it comes with a radio which you are shown how to use should you get into trouble.

PMR446 is great as far as it goes, which in the case of country dwellers is not much past the end of the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
My interpretation as a fellow amateur would be 'In a position to monitor, and to intervene directly if necessary'. So basically, either in the same room or at least within physical earshot and able to reach the operator and station in very short order. It would be interesting to know what the official definition of 'supervision' is.

This is my primary interpretation too, but I was interested to note that supervision (of an apprentice) may also legally mean working literally unsupervised.

Quote:
Interestingly, if you can remember back to the original time of legal CB radio in the UK when a licence was required, the licence covered up to five sets and whoever was using them, with the licence holder nominally responsible for their conduct. That is more or less the system you would like to see working on amateur radio.

I did not know that about the CB licence. That is indeed the concept that I am suggesting. seems like a sensible enough idea for breathing life into sadly under-used 2m repeaters. seems like an interesting point for debate.