View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2021, 6:42 pm   #1792
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
It's a shame Colin didn't keep a 'video diary' of his exploits here from the beginning but the end result would probably have been too long to fit on Youtube.

I haven't (yet) watched the third item in Colin's post #1788 but the original mainboard would have to have been sawn in half before I would give up on it - and maybe not even then - so it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where someone would actually remove the original main board and replace it with a functional modern replica.

It would have to be a time-lapse building-work style one.

In that Trash to Treasure. PET 2001-32N restoration video, he did actually fix the board that was in it when he first got it.
But he said it was actually an incorrect one - from an 8032 model. And he said he sold that board (presumably for someone to fix an 8032 etc), as he wanted something closer to the original 2001 spec.

So I guess you can configure the Mini PET to what model PET it appears to be.
- But could probably do something similar with the 8032 board, possibly using the older Kernal ROM (if they did support the CRTC).

And I had read that Commodore had originally used upto 4 different boards in some of the PET's/ CBM's. So the model number on the front wasn't a great guide to the board, and needed to lift the lid / 'bonnet' to take a look.
Although the PET 2001 was the original model, and later replaced by the 3000 etc. series, but the 2001-32N was probably a later 'N' version of the 2001 so that may have been made concurrently with some other models.