View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 10:15 am   #26
peakfour
Triode

Default Re: Telequipment/Tektronix D75 No trace on Power Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post

The Philip's is a nice scope, better I think than the Tele. There's a series of video's on Youtube where a chap fixes one, he goes into lot's of detail.
It will live again; now had a chance to look at it.

Essentially nothing major wrong barring the broken on/off switch.

The main input fuse was blown, rated at 500ma, rather than 1.6A, and was sitting alongside a spare 500ma fuse, also blown just like its mate.

Replaced that with the one spare I had in stock, and the 'scope did show some signs of life, in that the graticule bulb lit up, as did the LCD display, but was otherwise completely unresponsive.

The scope hadn't been powered up for at least 10 years, so I left it on for a while, in the hope that a capacitor somewhere might re-form itself, and then following two or three power on/off cycles, it sprung into life. A nice easy fix, but I do wonder how long it will stay "repaired".

I just need to locate a new switch from somewhere. It looks like Conrad Electronics stock them for the measly sum of £4.49 (+£6.99 P+P)
I can't seem to find another supplier, who might be a bit cheaper on the P+P, so unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'll order one later on.

Inspired by the unexpected success, I had a try at leaving a Huntron Tracker 1005 on mains soak for a while next.
I'd been given it at the same time as the Philips, but was equally dead on first examination.
The little electrons decided for themselves where they should be going, and following a couple of power cycles, that also sprang into life.
I've found a user manual on the net, so I now need to work out how to use it.
After a bit of switch cleaner it seems to give a reasonably stable display with a few random single static components, but I now need to find a service manual to see how to adjust the trace rotate.

Off to get wet laying a new path in the garden shortly.

Bill