View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2018, 11:37 am   #14
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: CPU cooling fan - blind-spots in risk/ personal safety assessment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Someone I know needed a stay at the local bandageworks after he'd rebuilt a truck starter-motor and decided to test it by hooking it to a 24V battery with a pair of jump-leads. He was holding the body of the motor as he made the final connection - the inertial reaction of the thing made it leap into the air, smashing bones in his left wrist and shoulder.
Quite a lot of torque there! That must have been a surprise as it leapt into the air and collided. Ouch!

Even cordless tools can be very dangerous. I well remember when I first started using a cordless screwdriver/drill, 25 years ago. I had no idea how much torque they could have.

Working outside, I accidentally lowered the cordless, still finger on trigger, so that the chuck connected with loose fabric of my jeans in my upper leg. In an flash, material was wrapped round the chuck and if the thing had turned for a tiny bit longer, I might well have been trying to save a rather priceless part of my anatomy. Fortunately I just walked away with a memorable lesson.