View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2018, 1:35 pm   #45
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Source impedance of mains, a workaround?

Quote:
Are you able to identify the make, model and ratings of the CBs in the main board?
Hello, I have absolutely no qualms about the quality and robustness of the CBs in the main distribution board and MCB my consumer unit. I didn't get a look at the make but the quality of the work in the main distribution board to the building looks outstanding.

Both the building CB and my MCB are just five years old and without question, comply with to the letter or exceed the latest regs. The overall build was by a major and well-known contractor - and I moved in when some of the second fit and inspections were going on in the adjacent part of the development that was still under construction.

There is nothing to worry about in terms of the integrity of this protection.

To be clear:

1) Yes, I will be putting adequate and appropriate inrush limiting in the DC bus circuit that I'm building.

2) In a fault condition (overcurrent), the circuit will be protected by overcurrent detection circuitry that will trip out in just over two RF periods, say 5uS. There's another thread I started on the design of the current transformer I am making to be the feedback path for this current.

This is approximately 20,000 faster than what I understand is a typical trip time of 0.1S =100mS, for a consumer MCB. So no worries in a fault condition.

Not related to safety, so much, I am considering measures in line with Hugo's reflections on conduction peaks and a zero crossing solution