View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:53 pm   #162
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Hedghog standards converter

One test I've been keen to try on the Hedghog is to see how well it copes with input from a VCR. Now this is a rather unfair test for any converter as the ability to cope with sync jitter, noise, dropouts and all the other issues from a VCR is well outside it's design parameters.

Early VCR's were an amazing technology and like colour TV in the '70's, pushed the existing technology to it's limits. Without doubt, they are the most complex things to ever have been given to consumers.

So I enjoy sourcing vintage material on VHS from boot sales etc and my VCR of choice is a 3V29. Now these really aren't great from a sync jitter point of view, so I didn't know what to expect from the HH.

The HH handles it perfectly with no issues! Even with the tracking control adjusted to give almost a complete screen of noise, HH doesn't even glitch. It doesn't mind severe dropouts, the worst it does if the sync disappears completely is just give a momentary blank screen which is fine. The problem I found with the Aurora was flash frames of test card C would appear randomly which was disconcerting!

So I was more than a little impressed, I really didn't expect it to behave that well, especially using a 3V29!

All the best
Nick